Welcome to Maine Trail Finder version 3.0!
We're excited you're here, whether you're a new user or an old friend.
Maine Trail Finder appeared on the web in 2010. We launched the new site with 30 trails in western Maine and a framework that was ready and able to become a "one-stop-shop" for centralizing and sharing information about the incredible people-powered trails that can be found in every corner of Maine.
We've been mapping trails, collaborating with trail managers and user groups, and improving our award-winning site ever since. With the help of many funders and sponsors, we've compiled information for over 850 trails over the years, with more to come!
Long time coming
As the years have gone by, technology has changed and user interest has grown. Our team has also deepened our knowledge and experience building "trail finder" applications in other parts of the U.S. In 2019, we're pleased to launch our third version of Maine Trail Finder in order to better meet the needs of our users and partners (especially mobile users!), to add new features, and to ramp up the fun factor! You'll find the same great trail maps and descriptions we've always provided and lots of new features to explore.
Over the years, you've shared lots of great ideas with us, and we've done our best to build those features into the site. From small tweaks, like adding scale bar on the trail maps, to big enhancements to My MTF accounts – the new site has a lot to offer, thanks to you!
Here's what's new!
- Fully redesigned interface. After nine years without change, any website will look a bit stale and dated. MTF's fresh new look sets a new standard for how to effectively deliver robust and interactive information across screen sizes from mega-monitors to pocket-sized smart phones.
- Events Calendar. Search for events ranging from group hikes, to races, to family-friendly festivals. Search for specific dates and locations, or just browse to see what's happening around the state. And if you've got an event to share, please check out our Calendar Guidelines – we look forward to connecting you with our users.
- My MTF. With a free user account, you can now keep track of trails you'd like to do, ones you've already visited, and your favorites. You can also save trail logs to keep a record of your adventures!
- Earn Badges. When you use your MTF account to track your trails, you'll earn fun digital badges as you complete (deliberately or unknowingly!) different badge challenges. Keep your eyes out for new badges, as we add them periodically.
- Find Trails. Use our improved search tools to select trails of different lengths and proximity to you, or somewhere you're hoping to visit. See your results on the biggest possible map we can fit to your screen.
- Trail Map Enhancements. Our new trail maps include "blue dot" functionality to allow location-enabled mobile device users to track their location on the trail in real time. We've also added that scale bar some of you have been asking for!
- Trailhead Driving Directions. Click on a parking area pin in our new "Directions" tab to get custom directions from your current location to that parking area in your map app.
- Pet Friendly Trails. Yep, we finally added a popular search to help you and your pooch get on trail. There are other ways to now look for popular trails.
More in store
And you thought we were done making this site great! We've got plans for a blog, better information about trail accessibility, and a trailside services map for locating pre- or post-trail needs. MTF schwag and storefront...it's on the table!
Keep visiting MTF to see what we're up to, and share with us what you're up to via comments, photos, badge earning, and more!
Follow Maine Trail Finder on Instagram and Facebook where you can get a more regular fix of trail photos, lInks, and news.