Established in 1855, Evergreen Cemetery's 239 acres make it the second-largest cemetery in Maine. The cemetery features a park area with four ponds and a network of moderately sloping paved trails. The back half of the cemetery—to the west—is much wilder and more wooded. The trails are mostly level, but have been left natural, with packed earth and exposed tree roots. Evergreen Cemetery is well-known for its exceptional birding—from feeding the ducks in the ponds to experiencing the spring migration of a wide variety of songbirds.
Evergreen Cemetery is owned and managed by the City of Portland, with assistance from Portland Trails and the Friends of Evergreen Cemetery. The cemetery is open daily 7:00am-4:30pm. The cemetery has a number of noteworthy headstones and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Maps are available at the cemetery office, which is open 7:00am - 3:30pm weekdays.
The undeveloped north west end of the cemetery is a City-designated off leash area for dogs, where dogs may walk unleashed as long as they are under voice command.
City of Portland, Department of Public Services
The main entrance to Evergreen Cemetery is located at 672 Stevens Avenue next to the Westbrook College campus of the University of New England. Parking is available in the cemetery. In addition to the main entrance, there are pedestrian entrances on Brentwood Street and Woodvale Street. METRO bus route 3.
Success! A new password has been emailed to you.